As Bikini, Staycation and Sunshine Season is still here, smoothies make the perfect quick and easy snack, breakfast, and cool treat that pairs well on our quest to look and feel our very best. Curious and eager to integrate wholesome foods and desiring to feel good every day, I began researching critical information from our nation’s leading nutritionists, health influencers and doctors. I was surprised to discover a secret many of us do not yet know: just because it’s a smoothie, doesn’t mean it is healthy. Some smoothies masked as “healthy” may actually spike blood sugar levels, making us more hungry and even turn into fat. Upon my discoveries, I made it a mission to source the best healthy homemade recipes to ensure that they pack powerful nutrients, are easy to make, incredibly delicious and most importantly so they give us the results we want and avoid storing added fat in our bodies.
Here are my Top 3 (plus a bonus) Smoothie Recipes and Tips:
1. Keep Sugars low. Add no more than a 1/4 cup of fruit per day. Berries are ok anytime. Enjoy additional fruit (aside from daily smoothie) just once a week.
2. Make it Bikini-Friendly. Fruits and vegetables contain vital micro nutrients, essential vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients, such as antioxidants and fiber, which are essential for our bodies. It’s important to maintain proper food balance to maintain alignment with our health goals. In The Best Day Ever Cooking Series I add in specific ingredients to balance and counteract any sugars and make it taste amazing. When we only put fruit and fiber into our systems, our blood sugar can spike which may result in a quick feeling of energy, followed by a depletion of energy, and even finding ourselves feeling hungry again. Additionally, our bodies may even store excess sugar as fat. The secret to avoiding this is to add a specific amount of food protein and healthy fats to achieve good food balance. Watch here (https://maurica.com/sample-episodes/ ) on Maurica.com. Click on “Sample Episodes”.
3. Make it a Special Ritual Just for You. A Healthy Smoothie to start your day is a gift you give yourself, so why not create a “Me-Moment” out of it. Create a ritual where you drink your smoothie in a quiet favorite space, sip and enjoy it slowly. No rush. No one around. Just take a moment to pick your most comfy chair and sink into it. Or choose a place that inspires you, and feel the warm breeze off your deck, or you can even pull over on your way to work or errands and roll down the window near the beach or take in a view of the city. Let the nutrients in, as you allow your thoughts to leave you, exhale often, and empty your mind. Don’t make this the time to plan your day, rather simply stay in the present moment. I often joke that this mindfulness technique would be better labeled as “Mindlessness”.
4. Super Body, Super Mind, Superfoods. You may also choose to add superfoods & vitamin boosters (check with your healthcare professional), into your smoothies such as:
Camu: This superfood cherry-like fruit is also known as camu camu or cacari and
comes from the Amazon Rainforests in Peru. Some people consume it to maintain or
improve a healthy weight, immune system functioning, brain health and reduce
Maca: This vegetable has been around for 3000 years in the high plateaus of the Andes
Mountains, its root is often used for medicine. It is a relative of the radish and has an odor
similar to butterscotch.
Magnesium: Need to chill? Magnesium acts on a cellular level to produce relaxation. If
you find yourself feeling restless, pacing or waking up at night, it’s easy to add this into
any smoothie. You’ll gain nutritional value but also enjoy the relaxed FEEL of being on
never ending vacation. Sounds like a win/win to me.
Potassium: Minerals help vitamin absorption into the body. This one also acts as a
healthy electrolyte, with zero fillers or sugars or chemicals. This is key for your brain,
muscle tissues, organs, and in overall good condition. Coconut water for example is a
natural electrolyte and healthy source of potassium.
Vitamin B12: Vitamin B12 is the largest and most structurally complex vitamin. It is
particularly important in the normal functioning of the nervous system, and in the
maturation of developing red blood cells in the bone marrow.
Give yourself this superfood smoothie morning ritual and thoughts-detox and you’ll be
surprised how happy, empowered and centered you will feel.
My all-time favorite: The Best Day Ever Smoothie Recipe
1 cup water
1 cup of nondairy coconut milk unsweetened full fat
Protein: 1 scoop chocolate or vanilla flavored Protein powder, look for ones that
have less than 2 grams of sugar per serving, are low carb or Keto.
1 scoop of Collagen
Fiber: 1-2 tbsp. ground flax of chia seeds
Fat: 1-2 tbsp. coconut oil, MCT oil
Greens: 2 cups spinach, kale, broccoli
Add all ingredients into a food processor or blender.
*This recipe was inspired by Kelly Levique in her book and cookbook titled
BodyLove. However I did remix her smoothie recipe a bit to make it even more
Click here to get and watch the 3 Smoothie Episode & Recipes from the Best Day Ever
Cooking Show, and see how and why I remix Smoothies such as: Maurica’s Leafy
Green Protein Smoothie, The Fat Burning Smoothie, and The Low Sugar Highly
Brought to you by The Best Day ever Cooking Show: https://maurica.com/.
The Best Day Ever Cooking Show contains episodes of Maurica Hurley’s’ favorite meal
plans and cookbook reviews from top health influencers including Celebrity Doctors and
Nutritionists. Maurica shares a lighthearted approach to cooking and storytelling.
Recipes for loving food, loving life and the magic of mindset are all here on
* Camu: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/camu-camu#2.-Contains-powerful-antioxidants
* Maca: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-555/maca
*BodyLove Book: http://bodylovedietbook.com/